Maricopa County Smartscape
Smartscape is presented as a series of eight, 3-hour workshops, plus an exam session and a Resources & Marketing / certificate session. Each workshop focuses on a specific topic, taught by an expert in the subject matter. Speakers are qualified by their education and professional work experience. Participants who attend all classes (or make up the maximum of two that can be missed) and pass the test receive a certificate of completion, decals, and a lapel pin indicating they have completed Smartscape training.
Topics covered include:
- Soils, Plants, and Water examines the relationship between these three elements that form the landscape.
- Plant Selection and Installation covers the criteria for choosing different types of plants for a landscape design, based on their characteristics and growing needs, maintenance requirements, and functional uses within the landscape, as well as selection of the best material in the nursery, and installation in the landscape.
- Landscape Design and Renovation teaches students how to conceive, plan, and execute landscape designs that respond to the needs of the site and the client, all while incorporating sustainable landscaping techniques.
- Drip Irrigation Design and Installation shows students the industry's latest tools and covers best practices for water-saving drip irrigation systems.
- Landscape Water Management and Irrigation Controllers illustrates how to determine plants' water needs, how to calculate actual landscape water use, and how to program a controller, in addition to troubleshooting for watering too much or too little.
- Maintaining Desert-Adapted Plants gives students tips on fertilizing, pruning, and covers the effects of shearing on shrubs.
- Plant Disorders offers students practical advice for identifying and responding to plant health issues.
- Desert Adapted Plants introduces students to a wide selection of plant material currently available from the nursery industry.
Graduates have the opportunity to market themselves as Smartscape Trained professionals by being listed in the online directory of Smartscape.org.
Registration is limited to the first 65 applicants, and to no more than five persons per company. Registration fees are non-transferable and non-refundable.