Gila County Developmental and Sensory Screening
The Developmental and Sensory Screening (DSS) program, supported by First Things First, provides free hearing, vision and developmental milestone screenings for Gila County children ages 0-5.
Why are regular hearing, vision and developmental milestone screenings important?
A child's first few years are when their brain develops the most, with 90% of brain development happening by the time a child enters kindergarten. Regular hearing, vision and developmental milestone screenings ensure your child's development is on track. Screenings can also identify challenges early so your child can get the help they need to reach their full potential.
Scheduling a hearing, vision or developmental milestone screening.
- Contact Chrisann Dawson at (928) 595-0655 or firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for information about screening services in Gila County.
- Download and complete a Screening Consent Form. Please bring the completed form to your child's screening appointment. You can also get a Screening Consent Form by visiting the Globe or Payson Cooperative Extension office locations.
- Learn about the screening process by reading Get Your Child Ready for Their Hearing and Vision Screening.
Connect with our program staff.
- Chrisann Dawson (928) 595-0655 email@example.com
- Ashley Dixon (928) 402-8588 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ben Downer (616) 502-8662 email@example.com
Developmental Milestone Activities
Though each child is different, developmental milestones are skills and behaviors most children learn to do by specific ages. These developmental milestone activities are a fun way for you and your child (ages 0-5) to work towards each milestone.
- Online Ages and Stages Tool - This FREE First Things First resource helps families make sure their child is meeting typical developmental milestones.
- ZERO to THREE - Provides age-based handouts that include a "what to expect" chart for children of different ages, frequently asked questions and information about common parenting challenges for each age and stage.
- Arizona Infant and Toddler Developmental Guidelines - A detailed resource to help parents, families and other caregivers understand and support development for young children (ages 0-3).
- PBS for Parents - Tips and activities for parents/caregivers to help their child learn and grow.
- Payson Lions Club - Offer financial assistance for eye exams and/or eyeglasses
- Globe Lions Club - Offer financial assistance for eye exams and/or eyeglasses
- First Things First Gila Region Family Guide - List of community organizations available to Gila County families that serve the needs of young children. Learn more about the First Things First Gila Region and resources available to families.
- Recursos en Español - Criar a un niño o una niña es una de las dichas más grandes de la vida, pero a veces también puede ser un desafío. Sepa que no necesita ser una madre o un padre perfecto y hay recursos útiles e información disponible a través de First Things First para ayudarle a hacer lo mejor que pueda.