Maricopa County Master Gardener
Home Horticulture Course
The Home Horticulture Course brings science-based information on home gardening and landscaping to the public. This course provides the same training as the Master Gardener volunteer program without volunteer obligations. This course does not lead to certified Master Gardener status.
If you are interested in the Master Gardener Volunteer Training Course, please visit, https://extension.arizona.edu/maricopa-county-master-gardener-training
FALL 2023 Home Horticulture Course Application CLICK HERE
Home Horticulture Applications close May 28, 2023
Acceptance into the Course: There are routinely more qualified applicants for the program than available openings. The application will remain open until enrollment is reached. Once you have registered and paid for the course you are guaranteed acceptance into the program.
Maricopa County Cooperative Extension Home Horticulture Courses are offered twice a year
- Spring session: January – May
- Fall Session: July – November
- anywhere with an internet connection, usually in the convenience of the home
- delivered through University of Arizona Desire 2 Learn (D2L), an online classroom
- access to computer or tablet connected to the internet, and use of the Zoom platform are required
This Course Provides:
- Arizona Master Gardener manual and online lecture series used during training of Master Gardener volunteers.
- Gardening and general horticulture topics and practices to prepare graduates to meet gardening challenges specific to the desert environment of Maricopa County.
- Information on environmentally responsible gardening and landscaping practices.
- Training for finding the most authoritative sources to answer questions about gardening and landscape topics.
Weekly Time Requirements:
- 5-6 hours of weekly study time reading and videos, at the convenience of your schedule
- Optional: Wednesday evening weekly Zoom group forum for questions and help
- Optional: Pass a final exam to receive a certificate of completion.
For further information about the Home Horticulture training course, visit our Frequently Asked Questions:
FAQs for Home Horticulture Course
Week 1: Orientation, Practice Week
Week 2: Botany – Part 1
Week 3: Botany – Part 2
Week 4: Soil, Water & Plant Relationships
Week 5: Soil, Fertilizer & Composting
Week 6: Vegetable Gardening
Week 7: Irrigation
Week 8: Entomology
Week 9: Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
Week 10: Plant Problem Diagnosis
Week 11: Plant Selection, Planting and Care
Week 12: Landscape Design
Week 13: Turf and Weed Management
Week 14: Pruning Tree and Shrubs
Week 15: Citrus
Week 16: Cacti & Succulents
Week 17: Wrap up, Final
We look forward to seeing you!
Assistant in Extension for Ornamental Horticulture
Master Gardener Course Coordinator
For further questions about the Home Horticulture or Master Gardener Volunteer Training Courses please email MCCE-MasterGardenerProgram@arizona.edu.