Yavapai STEM Programs
The University of Arizona’s Yavapai County Extension offers 1-hour STEM education outreach to students*.
Contact Stacy DeVeau to schedule a visit(s).
*Activities developed for mid-upper elementary grades; may be appropriate for other grades.
- Arizona Agriculture Literacy - The story “Bee’s Amazing Adventure” introduces students to Arizona agriculture, including crops, animals and land and water usage. Projection system required. How Many Farms does it take to make a Pizza? extension demonstration available.
- Design & Engineering - Learn about the engineering design process through a team competition constructing foil boats and testing them to determine capacity. Graph results.
- Exploring Magnetism – Learn about magnets, magnetic fields and their interactions using a magnet and compass to ‘map’ the magnetic field surrounding a bar magnet.
- In the Footsteps of Galileo: Observing Jupiter - Mimic Galileo's observations of Jupiter to understand the nature of science and the connections between Science, Technology, Engineering & Math. Projection system required.
- Modeling the Earth-Moon System ‐ Gain an understanding of lunar phases by modeling the Earth‐Moon‐Sun system. Sufficiently dark room needed. Crash Landing on the Moon extension challenge available.
- Modeling the Solar System ‐ Model sizes and distances of the planets of our solar system. ‘Play‐doh Planets’ models relative sizes of planets. ‘Pocket Solar System’ depicts relative distances between them.
- Modeling the Sun-Earth System ‐ Learn about the apparent motion of the Sun and stars, movement of Earth around the Sun and the size‐distance relationship of the Sun and Earth. Sufficiently dark room needed.
- WOW: Wild Over Water 4th Grade Water Resource Education – Classroom visits aimed at improving students’ understanding of the water cycle, watersheds, groundwater flow, and water conservation and water-related careers.