Maricopa County Advanced Smartscape: Irrigation
Next Course: March 30- April 13, 2023 Thursdays 12 pm - 6:00 pm
Advanced Smartscape: Irrigation training builds upon the Smartscape course experience with 18 hours of rigorous, in-depth technical training for landscape professionals on the design, installation, and maintenance of drip and sprinkler irrigation systems specific to the Sonoran Desert. The course stresses irrigation efficiency and wise water use in turf and desert landscapes. Attendees should have completed the Smartscape course and have some experience with irrigation.
The Arizona Municipal Water Users Association and the Arizona Department of Water Resources sponsor the program, and the University of Arizona Maricopa County Cooperative Extension delivers it with the mission of increasing water-use efficiency in landscapes by providing exceptional training to landscape professionals and educating them regarding the critical role they play in conserving our water resources.
After completing the entire three-class course, students will be able to more efficiently irrigate properties with systems they design, install, and maintain by implementing the techniques and strategies taught in Advanced Smartscape.
The Advanced Smartscape: Irrigation course delivers high-quality education from experts in the green industry. The following hands-on activities are included in the course:
- Irrigation audit
- New technologies demonstration
- Smart controller programming
- Friction loss calculations
Topics covered include:
- Irrigation Installation and Maintenance
- following a plan when installing drip and sprinkler irrigation systems
- various manufacturer products that are available and on the market that achieve greater irrigation efficiency
- electrical troubleshooting (valves, wiring, controllers, etc.)
- system inspections
- sprinkler and drip observations
- troubleshooting the controller, valves, and pressure (irrigation troubleshooting checklist)
- Irrigation Design
- point of connection
- backflow prevention
- head selection, nozzle selection
- head spacing and layout
- precipitation rate
- pressure management
- drip irrigation (poly, PVC, both)
- wire sizing
- controller systems
- Irrigation Management
- proper irrigation scheduling, based on the prior Design, Installation, and Management sections
- water auditing
- distribution uniformity
- precipitation rate
- water budgeting
- smart controllers
Presentations will be made using the latest research-based information regarding sustainable landscaping practices. In a tough economy, such training is invaluable to landscaping businesses as competition for customers remains high. Students will receive an Advanced Smartscape training manual and the opportunity to earn Irrigation Association (IA) continuing education units and International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) continuing education units.
Graduates of the course receive a certificate of completion from the University of Arizona and the opportunity to market themselves as Smartscape Trained Professionals by being listed in the Smartscape Online Directory at https://smartscape.org/directory/
*REGISTRATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.* A service fee is included in all payments. Contact the Program Coordinator if you wish to pay with a check.