CANCELLED: Biochar Kiln Demonstration: Young, AZ
LOCATION: Young Public Library 123 S Midway Ave, Young, AZ 85554
WORKSHOP GOAL: Raise awareness about biochar and demonstrate biochar production using a flame-cap kiln.
EVENT DESCRIPTION: Biochar are charcoal particles mixed with soil. Participants will learn about building and using a portable flame cap kiln for making biochar. Details such as burn permits, fire safety, water source, and lighting and quenching the fire are discussed. Benefits and challenges of using biochar include: raising awareness about biochar; creating markets; feedstock properties and variability; and matching biochar qualities to specific applications. Uses for biochar include:
- Hazardous fuels reduction in forests and wildland urban interface communities, and yard waste;
- A soil amendment for improving water retention and nutrient availability;
- Contaminant adsorption for dairies, landfills or mining;
- Production of bioenergy fuels including syngas and bio-oil; and
- Direct carbon sequestration: the half-life of a biochar molecule is 1,000 years.
AUDIENCE: Free and open to the public. Hazardous fuel reduction managers and volunteers, gardeners and composters, homeowners, ranchers, landfill & waste management industry, non-industrial private forest lands, state, county, tribal and federal lands, mining companies, turf industry, sawmills, horticulture and agriculture industry.
PRESENTER: Chris Jones, Extension Agent
University of Arizona Gila County Cooperative Extension In partnership and with special thanks to:
5515 S Apache Avenue, Suite 600 Globe, AZ 85501 Young Public Library and the
Phone: (928) 402-8586 Pleasant Valley Fire Department
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Young, AZ