Communication Day 2023
An opportunity for 4-H youth across the state to showcase their communication skills including public speaking, art, writing, photography, dance, drama, and music. New this year:
* Photography and Art Show and Online Auction - display your artwork, have it judged by a professional, and have a chance to sell your piece in the online auction
* Creative Writing Contest - enter poetry and stories to be judged by a professional.
* Clinics including clogging, public speaking, interviewing skills, photography, film making, social media etiquette and safety, and drama.
* Sign up to perform on Sunday at the Performing Arts Showcase!
All 4-H members are eligible to compete in the General Demonstration, 4-H Creed, Prepared Speech & Impromptu Speech Contests along with Horse Public Speaking and Horse Presentation! Communication Day 2023 can be used as a qualifying event for seniors for the Arizona team at Western National Roundup 2024 in Denver. However, only Prepared Speech, Impromptu Speech, Horse Public Speaking and Horse Presentation Contests are senior qualifying events for Western National Roundup in January 2024.
- A prepared speech contestant can prepare a speech on any topic relative to today’s youth. Topic is not required to be 4-H related but must be of interest to youth. Rules & Rubric.
- The purpose of the Creed Speaking Contest is to develop the ability of members to demonstrate their interpretation and self-expression of the 4-H Creed. Rules & Rubric.
- An Impromptu Speech is a speech that you have to make when you haven't prepared the topic in advance. Rules & Rubric.
- A General Demonstration can be done on any topic relating to 4-H or any 4-H project. The demonstration can be an illustrated talk or a true how-to demonstration, but must use visual aids. Rules & Rubric.
- A Horse Prepared Speech must pertain to the horse industry. Rules & Rubric.
- A Horse Presentation (demonstration or illustrated talk) can be done individually or as a team of two. The presentation must pertain to the horse industry. Rules & Rubric.
- The Art and Photography Contest is an opportunity for members to display their non-verbal communication skills. Art can either be 2D or 3D. There is a limit of 5 entries per exhibitor. Exhibits can be auctioned through the online auction. Rules, 2D Rubric, 3D Rubric, & Photography Rubric.
- The Creative Writing Contest is an opportunity for members to display their written communication skills. There is a limit of 5 entries per exhibitor. Rules & Rubric.
- The Performing Arts Showcase is an opportunity for members to show off their performing arts skills in a non-competitive environment. There will be no charge for the performance. Rules.
Lunch will be available on Saturday for $8 per person. Dinner will also be available on Saturday for $16. Meals will be hosted by Maricopa County General Projects Committee.
There is also an optional dance on Saturday evening for all contestants to attend.
All awards will be presented after the showcase on Sunday afternoon.
Registration must be done through Zingbooks. Registration will close on January 16th at 11:59pm.
See a tentative schedule here. All Times and clinics are subject to change.