When the Smoke Clears - The Road to Recovery Following Large-Scale Wildfire Webinar
University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Gila County presents: Garden and Country Extension Webinar Series. A Zoom webinar (60-minutes or less) featuring a variety of horticultural and natural resource topics relevant to the environmental conditions and residential concerns of Gila County, Arizona.
- Topic: When the Smoke Clears—The Road to Recovery Following Large-Scale Wildfire
- Speaker: Carol Ekarius is CEO of Coalitions & Collaboratives (COCO), a nonprofit that supports place-based groups working in the natural resource realm, and in the emergency response realm to natural disasters. She has extensive experience around wildland fire recovery, working with federal agencies, state agencies, local governments, and community members on fires across the West over the last 20 years. Recognizing a lack of shared learning on post-fire response and recovery, COCO sponsored the first national conference on post-fire recovery in 2019, After the Flames. The 2020 conference was canceled due to COVID19, but COCO is continuing the dialog through a series of webinars, and also provides a post-fire resource page at the website www.aftertheflames.com.
- Overview: Carol presented with us last year after the Bush Fire. Aware of the devasting Telegraph and Mescal Fires, she will be back to discuss some of the first-steps toward recovery, such as anticipating flood conditions and debris flows, working collaboratively on response by forming a recovery committee, figuring out how to pay for it, and thinking about long-term recovery.
- Facilitator: Chris Jones, Extension Agent, University of Arizona Gila County Cooperative Extension
- Zoom Link: https://arizona.zoom.us/j/89908523915
- Please log in up to 10 minutes prior to the webinar.