Challenges and Opportunities for Managing Invasive Plants in Arizona Webinar
University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Gila County presents: Garden and Country Extension Webinar Series. A Zoom webinar (60-minutes or less) featuring a variety of horticultural and natural resource topics relevant to the environmental conditions and residential concerns of Gila County, Arizona.
- Topic: Challenges and Opportunities for Managing Invasive Plants in Arizona
- Speaker: Willie Sommers, Invasive Plant Program Coordinator. Willie is the Invasive Plant Program Coordinator for the Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management. He has a Master’s degree in Range Management from the University of Arizona and an undergraduate degree in Environmental Resources from Arizona State University. He participates in several collaborative groups such as the Lower Gila River Collaborative, Lower San Pedro Collaborative and the Arizona Cross Watershed Network. He also serves on the board of directors for the Southwest Vegetation Management Association. In his spare time, he enjoys gardening, hiking, landscaping and volunteering.
- Overview: Nonnative invasive plants have been described as a ‘biological wildfire’ that is out of control and spreading rapidly. The Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management has an Invasive Plant Program that includes a grant opportunity and web map for invasive plant treatment prioritization. This presentation will focus on challenges and opportunities for managing invasive plants in Arizona.
- Facilitator: Chris Jones, Extension Agent, University of Arizona Gila County Cooperative Extension
- Zoom Link: https://arizona.zoom.us/j/86511927971
- Please log in up to 10 minutes prior to the webinar.