Engaged Citizens Event
Registration is due through Zingbooks by 11:59 PM on 1/20.
Who can participate in the ECE?
- Each county and tribal community is encouraged to send at least two youth delegates.
- Participants must be Age 14 – 18 (as of 1/27/2021).
What is ECE?
- This is a Civic education day for Arizona 4-H Youth to engage with legislators, develop important communication skills, explore career opportunities in public service, and learn more about the Arizona State Capitol.
Program Outline and What to Expect:
- Government 101 (8:00AM) - A session dedicated to making sure that each participant understands the basic structure of Arizona government and how our public officials fit into it. Our goal is for youth to feel comfortable distinguishing between the government branches, who our government representatives are, and some basic history about the government in Arizona.
- Hour of Opportunity (9:00AM) - Whether it be in 4-H or beyond, let us explore where engaging in public service may take us. Explore some of the 4-H opportunities that allow youth to continue their passion for public service at a national and international level. Teens will have the opportunity to learn about careers and hear from people who have engaged with public service opportunities.
- Sharing the 4-H Story (10:10AM) - How many times have you received one of these questions? Join us for the “Sharing the 4-H Story” workshop to learn more about Arizona 4-H, how to share information about projects, and how to connect your experiences with stakeholders.
- “So, what is 4-H?”
- “What is your 4-H Story?”
- “What do you do in 4-H?”
- Engaging Leaders (11:00AM) - What do you when you meet your local legislator for the first time? A session dedicated to helping youth navigate engaging with political leaders, how to talk about difficult topics, and how to use “true listening” for powerful discussions.
- Legislator Meetings (12:00 PM - 6:00 PM) - Depending on your legislators schedule, you will have a meeting a small group of other youth/4-H representatives for a short meeting with a local legislator. You will not be in meeting for the entire duration, however, please keep the time open to ensure that you are able to attend the meeting when your legislator is available to schedule a meeting.
I'm Interested, now what?
- We're glad you're interested in this event and we are looking forward to receiving your application. Please register directly through the Arizona 4-H Zingbooks platform. You can login with your credentials at this link and navigate to the events that are available to you. Please complete the registration by January 20th at 11:59 PM MST.
- Question: This event is held during a school day, will there be any sort of communication that we can share with our teachers?
- Answer: Yes, this event will be an excused absence for your school. Once you register for the event, we will share a letter with you that can be sent to your teachers and school attendance office.
- Question: If I am having trouble registering, what do I do?
- Answer: Contact the event coordinator, Schuyler Germann, and she will help get you troubleshoot any registration issues.
The educational components of this event will be facilitated by Arizona 4-H Professionals and area experts from a variety of backgrounds. The event is sponsored and supported by the Arizona 4-H Youth Foundation.