Desert Institute of Gardening ONLINE: School Gardens in the Low Desert
Maricopa County Master Gardener Don Sutton will guide you on how to plan, create, teach and maintain a K-12 school garden.
You will also learn how to garner funding and develop a great group of volunteers to help the students.
YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to build the links to the school curriculum based on grade level
- Design the garden space
- Seek funding & volunteers
- Plant for something to harvest in the time you have
- Sustain the garden to fit the school calendar
- Keep track of success and failures
SPEAKER: Don Sutton is a graduate from the University of Nebraska- Lincoln with an undergraduate degree in biology. His gardening experience started early! He was the official weed picker for his great uncle on two-acre garden in Hullet, Wyoming. Don has worked with schools and churches in the valley to set up and maintain vegetable gardens. Additionally, he has been a speaker at the Maricopa Home and Garden shows over the past two years.