Desert Institute of Gardening ONLINE: Landscape Design
This class is designed to empower you with the fundamentals of landscape design and lead you through the steps you need to take your backyard space to the next level.
Learn how to address the big picture down to the small details and create a solid plan. Achieve a cohesive and functional space while increasing the value of your
home and avoiding costly mistakes and disappointment that can result from a piecemeal approach. Whether you need color, edibles, activities or relaxation,
Landscape Architect & Master Gardener Dustin Simmons will show you that landscape design is not that intimidating once you approach it one bite at time (or one space at a time)!
Participants will learn:
- Learn how to create a base plan and identify and program functional areas
- Understand the basic principles of design
- Explore the use of hardscape and appropriate plant palettes
- Put it all together into a cohesive plan that can be used for budgeting and installation
- Bring your ideas and be prepared for some creative thinking!
Instructor: Dustin Simmons, RLA, ASLA, Master Gardener Dustin Simmons is a Registered Landscape Architect in Arizona, a Certified Desert Landscape Professional, SmartScape Certified, and a member of AZASLA. As the Saturday Docent Day Captain at the Desert Botanical Garden, Dustin loves to share his knowledge and passion about desert adapted plants with others. He is a member of GrowPHX which is a group dedicated to creating sustainable urban farms and food forests within the greater Phoenix area. For over 20 years, he has designed a broad range of projects from high end student housing at ASU and NAU, to sports fields like Notre Dame Prep and Quail Run Park, a Senior Living Community at Agritopia, as well as therapeutic, edible, zen, and meditation gardens.
- The class is ONLINE and you will receive login information and handouts 24 hours in advance of the class.