Cavity Free AZ
University of Arizona Cooperative Extension and Arizona Department of Health Services Dental Program
School-based dental sealant delivery programs provide sealants (and fluoride varnish to Kindergartners) to children unlikely to receive them otherwise. Services provided are at no cost to the school or family who participate.
Sealants prevent tooth decay and stop cavities from growing. In 2015, 60% of Arizona third graders were affected by tooth decay; 30% had pain, dental infection or severely decayed teeth in need of urgent treatment and 75% of Arizona third graders needed dental sealants.
What are sealants?
- Sealants are tooth-colored coatings that fill the grooves of back teeth.
- Most tooth decay in children occurs in the back teeth.
- Sealants keep out food and germs that cause cavities.
How does the program work?
- All services are provided at no cost to you or your child’s school.
- Second and sixth graders with a signed consent form receive a dental screening.
- All information about your child is kept confidential.
- If you have any questions, please contact your local provider.
- Natoyah Swift - Program Coordinator (Cochise, Santa Cruz, Yuma counties)
- ADHS Cavity Free AZ Sealant School Application for Schools
- Visit ADHS Cavity Free AZ Website